Skip to main content

LOSING MY RELIGION

As I sit here typing my mind is racing with a million thoughts. How do I share them in a logical and reasoned way? The more I have studied early Christian history the more saddened I have become. The rock band R.E.M. wrote a song "Losing My Religion" and that is how I am feeling right now.

The religion, faith, church, Holy Bible, and Jesus I was taught as a child is not the same. It has lost its innocence.

I am reading the book by Philip Jenkins called Jesus Wars which is the history of the 5th and 6th-century Christian church and its faith. The government and church (Roman Catholic) and other Christian groups like the Gnostics and Monophysites were all fighting over the nature of Jesus. Some believed Jesus was fully divine and others believed He was fully human and divine which created no small stir of emotions. The short version is they voted in 451 A.D. in the Council of Chalcedon that Jesus was fully human and fully divine, two natures, which began a schism within Christendom. But what is so sad is that groups of Christians with different views of Jesus were killing each other or torturing each other to "win" a victory for their group. Did they forget the sixth Commandment "You must not murder."?

There was more intrigue to the history of the early Christian church to make TV soap operas jealous. Eventually, one side won out which is the side we call "orthodox" today. This does not mean the right side won which is very hard for some to accept. But then again the right side might have won but in either case, God still is God regardless if humans might have made a mistake in not listening more carefully to the Holy Spirit. They voted in councils what books and letters would be considered "of God" and which ones were not. They voted on what we would believe is correct faith and what should be "heresy" much like Congress trying to pass a bill.

It has been only in the last 15 years that lost books that were once considered from God have been found and published so it is available to the public to read. The Nag Hammadi find in 1945 from the Gnostics written in the 2nd century and the Dead Sea Scrolls found between 1947 to 1956 at Khirbet Qumran had 972 texts dating in the 1st and 2nd centuries. Most recently a text of Judas Iscariot was procured and adds more light to those ancient days.

I guess I could put my head in the sand and ignore all this and keep to my childhood beliefs that God came in person and dictated what He wanted in the Holy Word and then told the writer to pass the papyrus over to the next writer. That everyone got along and God told them face to face in the councils what they are to believe and that Christian history is one big peace festival. I could go the opposite extreme and stop all belief and be an atheist or go the middle road and be agnostic after learning how the Christian Church conducted itself after the Roman Empire made it a legal religion.

If there were no scriptures I still could not look at all the stars in the sky at night and not believe there was a great Creator. If there was no church I still would feel within my soul the awe and wonder of life itself and feel something within my being that I was not alone.

What I have had to realize is humanity is corrupted and God is patiently working with and in everyone, every church, every nation in a loving, understanding way. A way that is beyond my comprehension, a way that makes God, well, God. I have free will, I have a choice, and I choose to still believe there is a God regardless of critics or historical findings or the way the church conducted itself in the early centuries. This is why it is called faith, the belief in something that is real but cannot be seen or proven. As I said before if there were no holy writings or religious structures I could still believe in a great Creator God which I call this faith, "Naked Faith", faith in God with no religious trappings.

People will disappoint you, churches will disappoint you, governments will disappoint you, at times you will even be disappointed in yourself but God will not disappoint you if you allow your naked faith in God to comfort you. So, in the end, I learned that yes, I have lost my religion but in so doing I have gained a stronger faith in God. Amen.

                                    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POISONING THE FRUITS OF THE HOLY BIBLE

  The Holy Bible has many beautiful truths within its pages and the most wonderful story in the world of how a loving and gracious God came from Heaven to Earth to save us from sin and ourselves.  What I have seen that saddens my heart is when men and women distort the Bible's precious truths. Sometimes they play mental gymnastics with a rubicon of verses to put together their own view of a topic and make the Bible appear to support their side. Both the liberal and conservative Christians do it and even those who are not even believers play this game. People who want all answers to life and faith but only from the Bible are some of the most toxic and unhappy people I know. Where is their Christlike love? Jesus dealt with this kind of mindset in his mortal time on earth and they were called Pharisees. We must be willing to take the Bible as it is written and what the writers led by the Holy Spirit meant. We must be authentic and transparent. Some things in the Bible are uncomfortabl

WHAT VOICES ARE YOU LISTENING TO?

  Since the internet entered our homes and social media dominates the culture of the world we as a human race have rapidly lost our humanity in many ways. People are so vicious to one another and it is so sad to see how narcissistic we have become as a species. I am often balancing what I read and what I listen to so I do not become toxic and filled with false understandings and beliefs. So it is very important to consider just what voices you are listening to and what voices are you reading. What is the mindset of the people, shows, and music you are allowing into your life? We need to be more alert to not allowing trash into our minds, ears, and eyes. Let us not become a landfill for society's useless trash. If you let garbage in soon it will be garbage out. What is most in your heart will eventually come out the mouth both spoken and written. Matthew 15:18-20

ELECTION YEAR 2024! OH BOY!

Yes, folks, it is an election year and of course, both parties believe they are going to save the world. Sorry, but Jesus Christ already did that some 2000 years ago. Now the other fun fact about this is every election year it is a Chicken Little story all over again, which is the sky is falling if the Republicans get into office, and the sky is falling if the Democrats get into office. This reminds me of how news on the weather is nowadays. There will be one inch of snow coming which is the great white death from above so stock up on everything. The exaggeration from political parties and the news is absolutely off the charts in this day and age. Gone are the Walter Cronkite and Tom Brokaw days of newscasting.   Social media can be used for good and even to spread the gospel message but also it can perpetuate lies and deceit. I hope it is used more responsibly than what I have been witnessing.  So back to politics and voting, I would say do your best to try and find reliable informati