Skip to main content

PROTESTANT AND SITTING IN THE MYSTERIES

 Since I wrote my last blog some people have asked me about my "Protestant" tendencies. That actually was a very good question and one I wanted to address in my blog so put your Holy Ghost seat belt on!

I have been Protestant my whole life having been baptized when I was four months old at Wesley United Methodist Church. Throughout my life, I have visited various Protestant churches for different lengths of time to learn about them. This helped greatly as I studied theology and taught it at various churches and at the college level. I have pastored and preached at different Protestant churches. So I have had decades of interaction with the Protestant faith.

I admire their deep desire to know the Holy Bible and their love of the Bible. Secondly, the burning passion to have a personal relationship with Jesus. Third, they are not afraid to share Jesus and the liturgical churches could learn more about evangelization from them.

So having spent time in the Liturgical and Protestant churches I see one major flaw in the Protestant side I will address. The strong belief in sola Scriptura brings about a black-and-white truth in Protestants' lives that can lead them to a spiritual meltdown when they encounter an area of life that is unclear and messy. Sola Scriptura can lead a protestant to, if not careful, to worship the Bible and not the God of the Bible.  

So about 2011 I settled into the Anglican faith which provided Catholic-style worship and other Catholic-style practices along with Protestant study of the Holy Bible and a pursuit of a personal relationship with Jesus. We use both ancient prayers and individual prayers from the heart.

And one very important part of liturgical life that I have learned and loved. It is being willing to sit in silence with the mysteries of our faith life that have no explanation or definitive answer. Areas where the Bible is silent. This is where acceptance is in the sovereign will of God. We peacefully have faith that God has our best interest in mind with His love surrounding us. We do not have to have all the answers to life, God, and faith. This is a time to let the Holy Spirit comfort us.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POISONING THE FRUITS OF THE HOLY BIBLE

  The Holy Bible has many beautiful truths within its pages and the most wonderful story in the world of how a loving and gracious God came from Heaven to Earth to save us from sin and ourselves.  What I have seen that saddens my heart is when men and women distort the Bible's precious truths. Sometimes they play mental gymnastics with a rubicon of verses to put together their own view of a topic and make the Bible appear to support their side. Both the liberal and conservative Christians do it and even those who are not even believers play this game. People who want all answers to life and faith but only from the Bible are some of the most toxic and unhappy people I know. Where is their Christlike love? Jesus dealt with this kind of mindset in his mortal time on earth and they were called Pharisees. We must be willing to take the Bible as it is written and what the writers led by the Holy Spirit meant. We must be authentic and transparent. Some things in the Bible are uncomfortabl

CATHOLIC TENDENCIES

  Ever since I was introduced to the Catholic Church I have been fascinated by this body of the Christian faith. One thing that has stuck with me that I admire is the unashamed strength to stand up for what they believe and back it up with The Three Pillars of the Church. Now for those who do not know The Three Pillars, they are number one, Sacred Scripture which comprises the Old Testament and New Testament in a total of seventy-three books. Next is the Apostolic Tradition which is the Living Tradition and the liturgies. Thirdly, The Living Magisterium which is the teaching authority of the Pope in Communion with the Bishops. So what brought this topic up for me is listening to a podcast by Fr. Mike Schmitz denouncing the opening in France of the Olympics when blasphemy was committed by mocking The Last Supper of Jesus Christ. I know some of you are thinking this is already old news. At the time, so many wrote and talked about it that I felt it would be overkill if I wrote about it. I

WHAT VOICES ARE YOU LISTENING TO?

  Since the internet entered our homes and social media dominates the culture of the world we as a human race have rapidly lost our humanity in many ways. People are so vicious to one another and it is so sad to see how narcissistic we have become as a species. I am often balancing what I read and what I listen to so I do not become toxic and filled with false understandings and beliefs. So it is very important to consider just what voices you are listening to and what voices are you reading. What is the mindset of the people, shows, and music you are allowing into your life? We need to be more alert to not allowing trash into our minds, ears, and eyes. Let us not become a landfill for society's useless trash. If you let garbage in soon it will be garbage out. What is most in your heart will eventually come out the mouth both spoken and written. Matthew 15:18-20