Skip to main content

HEART PROBLEMS FOR A GYM RAT

I have always been a gym rat and played sports. At sixty-three I prided myself in being fit and trim. I ate close to a Mediterranean diet, slept adequately, and did not smoke or party. I was smug enough to believe I would never have any serious health issues because I cared for my health so well. There is an old saying that pride comes before the fall, and fall I did.

It started two years ago at an annual check-up when the doctor heard a slight heart murmur. My poor man's insurance would not pay for an echocardiogram. So I went on with life. The last four months leading up to July 1st I had been gaining weight and losing breath ever so gradually. My energy level was slowly going. 

I got a strange virus that made me sicker than a dog for three days with a fever. I went to bed and felt like I was drowning so I coughed and choked and fought for breath. I then decided I was getting older and maybe I developed asthma so I headed to a clinic. The nurse practitioner said I did not have asthma but a really bad heart murmur. She said I should go to the hospital via ambulance but I said no.

Roma drove me to the hospital and the emergency room I was wheeled into became like a show in Grey's Anatomy and by the time they were done hooking me up I looked like the Borg from Star Trek!

This was a real slap in the face of my mortality. How could this be happening to me? I was in Afib and they started running every test known to man on me. Finally, after a day and a half in the hospital, they found I had two bad heart valves that needed replacing. I asked them how this could be because I took care of myself. They said that I must have been born with misformed heart valves. If I had not taken care of myself I would have been in ten years earlier and the virus must have stirred up my heart. 

Oh, don't spoil me! So here I am weak and waiting for a heart operation. I have never had surgery before so this does scare me. But also I am getting so tired so easily that I just want fixed so I can get my energy back and feel healthy and strong again. I miss going and playing pickleball, lifting weights, and walking on the treadmill.

I think of the Tinman in The Wizard of Oz, "If I only had a heart!" In my case, I would sing, "If only my heart was fixed!" 

Psalm 73:26 NKJV

My flesh and my heart fail;

But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.


 

Comments

  1. Awesome testimony! God will see you through!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Be kind and gracious.

Popular posts from this blog

POISONING THE FRUITS OF THE HOLY BIBLE

  The Holy Bible has many beautiful truths within its pages and the most wonderful story in the world of how a loving and gracious God came from Heaven to Earth to save us from sin and ourselves.  What I have seen that saddens my heart is when men and women distort the Bible's precious truths. Sometimes they play mental gymnastics with a rubicon of verses to put together their own view of a topic and make the Bible appear to support their side. Both the liberal and conservative Christians do it and even those who are not even believers play this game. People who want all answers to life and faith but only from the Bible are some of the most toxic and unhappy people I know. Where is their Christlike love? Jesus dealt with this kind of mindset in his mortal time on earth and they were called Pharisees. We must be willing to take the Bible as it is written and what the writers led by the Holy Spirit meant. We must be authentic and transparent. Some things in the Bible are uncomfortabl

WHAT VOICES ARE YOU LISTENING TO?

  Since the internet entered our homes and social media dominates the culture of the world we as a human race have rapidly lost our humanity in many ways. People are so vicious to one another and it is so sad to see how narcissistic we have become as a species. I am often balancing what I read and what I listen to so I do not become toxic and filled with false understandings and beliefs. So it is very important to consider just what voices you are listening to and what voices are you reading. What is the mindset of the people, shows, and music you are allowing into your life? We need to be more alert to not allowing trash into our minds, ears, and eyes. Let us not become a landfill for society's useless trash. If you let garbage in soon it will be garbage out. What is most in your heart will eventually come out the mouth both spoken and written. Matthew 15:18-20

ELECTION YEAR 2024! OH BOY!

Yes, folks, it is an election year and of course, both parties believe they are going to save the world. Sorry, but Jesus Christ already did that some 2000 years ago. Now the other fun fact about this is every election year it is a Chicken Little story all over again, which is the sky is falling if the Republicans get into office, and the sky is falling if the Democrats get into office. This reminds me of how news on the weather is nowadays. There will be one inch of snow coming which is the great white death from above so stock up on everything. The exaggeration from political parties and the news is absolutely off the charts in this day and age. Gone are the Walter Cronkite and Tom Brokaw days of newscasting.   Social media can be used for good and even to spread the gospel message but also it can perpetuate lies and deceit. I hope it is used more responsibly than what I have been witnessing.  So back to politics and voting, I would say do your best to try and find reliable informati