Skip to main content

RESPONDING TO A GLOBAL CRISIS AS A CHRISTIAN

As I have watched the world come to what seems a grinding halt, I have to ask myself how do I as a Christian respond to what is going on around me. I will do a few spiritual practices and some tangible actions within my own abilities and will address them in that order.

First to me is obvious which is to pray for the healing of the world and protection for those on the frontline of this pandemic. 

Secondly, I will be joining a worldwide fast this Sunday, March 29th through The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by request of President Russell M. Nelson. I will have no food or drink for eight hours as I spend that time in prayer, reflection, and reading of the holy scriptures.  

Now I will actively be calling, texting, emailing to check up on family and friends to see if they are ok and need anything of necessity. This will also give them some social outlet to have a conversation and share their feelings and anxieties. 

I will be taking walks, doing yoga and push-ups to keep in shape while the gym is closed. Keeping the temple of the Holy Spirit in good working order. I will be doing some writing and reading to keep my mind exercised. Don't use it - You lose it!

I am in good health for my age and feel I have an adequate immune system but out of love for others, I will isolate and use safe distancing until it is safe again to go out as in times passed. But I think after this experience I will continue to use safe distancing where it is reasonable. Personally, I never did like shaking hands I rather prefer the Asian greeting of bowing or nodding to each other.

I don't want to be one of those Christians who say every time something bad happens it is an act of God because then it becomes the boy who cried wolf. Sometimes it is an act of Satan, sometimes just the fallen sinful world we live in is the cause. But regardless of the cause, we need to come before the Lord and ask for help, protection, and guidance.

I will leave you with some words of comfort from the holy scriptures:

1 Peter 5:7 (KJV)

Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.


Isaiah 40:31 (KJV)

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary, and they shall walk, and not faint.


Joshua 1:9  (NKJV)

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Matthew 11:28-30 (NKJV)

28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 
30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

John 14:27 (KJV)

Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

POISONING THE FRUITS OF THE HOLY BIBLE

  The Holy Bible has many beautiful truths within its pages and the most wonderful story in the world of how a loving and gracious God came from Heaven to Earth to save us from sin and ourselves.  What I have seen that saddens my heart is when men and women distort the Bible's precious truths. Sometimes they play mental gymnastics with a rubicon of verses to put together their own view of a topic and make the Bible appear to support their side. Both the liberal and conservative Christians do it and even those who are not even believers play this game. People who want all answers to life and faith but only from the Bible are some of the most toxic and unhappy people I know. Where is their Christlike love? Jesus dealt with this kind of mindset in his mortal time on earth and they were called Pharisees. We must be willing to take the Bible as it is written and what the writers led by the Holy Spirit meant. We must be authentic and transparent. Some things in the Bible are uncomfortabl

WHAT VOICES ARE YOU LISTENING TO?

  Since the internet entered our homes and social media dominates the culture of the world we as a human race have rapidly lost our humanity in many ways. People are so vicious to one another and it is so sad to see how narcissistic we have become as a species. I am often balancing what I read and what I listen to so I do not become toxic and filled with false understandings and beliefs. So it is very important to consider just what voices you are listening to and what voices are you reading. What is the mindset of the people, shows, and music you are allowing into your life? We need to be more alert to not allowing trash into our minds, ears, and eyes. Let us not become a landfill for society's useless trash. If you let garbage in soon it will be garbage out. What is most in your heart will eventually come out the mouth both spoken and written. Matthew 15:18-20

ELECTION YEAR 2024! OH BOY!

Yes, folks, it is an election year and of course, both parties believe they are going to save the world. Sorry, but Jesus Christ already did that some 2000 years ago. Now the other fun fact about this is every election year it is a Chicken Little story all over again, which is the sky is falling if the Republicans get into office, and the sky is falling if the Democrats get into office. This reminds me of how news on the weather is nowadays. There will be one inch of snow coming which is the great white death from above so stock up on everything. The exaggeration from political parties and the news is absolutely off the charts in this day and age. Gone are the Walter Cronkite and Tom Brokaw days of newscasting.   Social media can be used for good and even to spread the gospel message but also it can perpetuate lies and deceit. I hope it is used more responsibly than what I have been witnessing.  So back to politics and voting, I would say do your best to try and find reliable informati